21 May 2005

To a Time When I Didn't Exist

The usual vibrant Friday night outings became a short trip to the 70's when David, Joey, and I went to a fun fair that opened not long ago. We were on our way to Eastern Tea Corner (THE mamak stall) so that I could collect the RM1000 pledged by the boss. But as my car approached the area we saw a long beam of light moving through the night sky. It reminded me of Batman.

Anyway, we decided to find the source of the light and we traced it to the recently-erected fun fair. 'Recent' seems to be the total opposite of what lies inside, though. It is exactly the same kind of fairground that my parents went to, with clanky metal rides, and lots of games that relied on probability numbers. There were only a few people playing, trying to win the lame prizes. The three of us actually got close to playing a game where we got to throw 4 tennis balls to hit down 5 tin cans. But logic got the better of us as we watched the player before us get conned.

As I said, it was a sad sight. Even the prizes on display looked old while the attendees were definitely old! I also couldn't stand the loud instrumental music that played songs from the 70's as well! (Think: Teresa Teng) We left the place after 10 minutes, a fantastic achievement, really.

When I went to Myanmar a few months back, I was told that such fun fairs were considered as 'hip and happening'. Gee, political oppresion has set them back so far behind.

We finally left the dump and went to the mamak stall. I noticed that the boss was talking with someone so I respectfully ordered something while waiting for him to finish. When he finally did, I approached him and reminded him of the RM1000. It took a little time for him to refresh, but he trusted me and left for the office. I followed him and was told to wait outside at one of the tables. So I sat there for 5 minutes. When he came back he held a cheque for RM1000 that can be cashed. I felt relieved as I initially thought he would give me RM1000 in bank notes, which was a little dangerous. Anyway, I graciously thanked him but he seemed indifferent about it all. I continued my drink with the two of my friends and we talked a little while before heading back.

It was only when I came back that I took a good look at the cheque. I was shocked to see that the cheque was postdated at 24 May! That's a good 4 days away! I had planned to bank in the RM1000 along with the RM700 cash in my possession as I would be in KL from Saturday till Sunday. Looks like I'll deposit the RM700 first.

No comments: