08 May 2005

Stupid Act of Today

In the hostel, most of us get out drinking water from the water
fountain, which dispenses cold and hot water.

I decided to have some green tea this morning, so I put in the teabag
in my cup and went to fill some water. Looking at the water filling up
my cup, I noticed that the tap is in blue, not red.

I hope that doesn't affect the taste of my tea much.

Since we are on the topic of tea preparation techniques, I have
something to share. When I went to Yunnan (China) a few weeks back, we
were taken to the Agricultural University to visit the Tea Science
department (I'm not joking). Their main purpose was to sell us some of
the high-grade Pu Erh tea, but they also threw in some tips about tea
preparation.

The lecturer attending to my tour group said that tea leaves should
only be soaked for a maximum of 1 minute, and it must be removed from
the drinking pot. When it is time for a refill then we can put the tea
bag/leaves in. I followed his tip today and my tea does taste better
and not too strong.

That also means the tea served in Dim Sum houses is a big no-no.

No comments: