04 May 2005

I removed the Title feature as AvantBlog doesn't have a provision for them. Anyway, I'm typing on my computer now, since I'm still here. I must tell you a little bit about myself and the world around me, so you know what my blog will revolve around.

I'm a Malaysian Chinese from, er, Malaysia. A few years back when I was chatting online with an American, he wanted to know where Malaysia is. So I asked him, do you know Thailand? 'No' Singapore? 'Yes!' Look at Singapore on a map, then direct your gaze a little to the north. That's where Malaysia is.

Due to the 2004 tsunami tragedy though, I believe my country's region has been given more exposure.

Anyway, I stay in Penang, an island state with a small patch of mainland robbed from the Kedah sultanate by the British settlers many many years ago. This island is dubbed the "Pearl of the Orient", but right now the better name would be "Dirty, Static, and Congested Pearl of the Orient". It would still make a great holiday destination though!

One year ago, I moved to Nilai in Negeri Sembilan. Negeri Sembilan is a south-western state with nothing special in particular, except that in certain parts a matriachical society still exists (Adat Pepatih). Now, I don't want you thinking that I like history that much. It all just came to my mind as I typed this.

Anyway, I moved here to continue studying for my Degree in Software Engineering in INTI College Malaysia. I stay in the hostel, sharing a room with a good friend. I love my freedom from my family, and although I miss them sometimes, I prefer this. I don't think I'm cruel or ungrateful, just realistic about my personal priorities.

I am an only child, and my parents divorced when I was 13 or so. I stayed with my Dad, and because of that, we have a very close relationship unusual among fathers and sons. I have a pretty cool relationship with Mum, but quite detached. With Mother's Day rolling around this weekend, a call is pretty much all I'll give. Cruel? Ungrateful? You make the call.

I have to head for class now. It's the first week of the new semester, and so I am usually quite free, hence all this posts. I hope you get an idea of what I'll be writing about here. Once in a while I may just tell you about my romantic escapades. Of course, I'll have to attempt some of them first before being able to write about it.

But I really don't care coz hey, journalists and writers fake stories all the time!

No comments: