11 May 2005

Ripening of My Banana

I guess I've mentioned about me being a banana before. A banana is a Chinese who can speak English but not Mandarin. But I think that definition is not going to hold true for me much longer. Just now I had a camp meeting with a subsection, and it was conducted in such a way that everyone else will communicate in Mandarin, but I'll reply in English. I think that compromise is working very well. I can catch all conversational Mandarin easily, but certain technical words are still out of comprehension.

Have to go now, I've got another meeting with the Games subsection. I'm really thankful that my committee is really holding well together!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to believe that too, until one day, I realised that actually they CAN speak English, but they won't, coz they have this idea that all Chiense MUST speak Mandarin, and that irritates the hell out of me, coz they were just being difficult, instead of trying to accomodate...

Sure.. push them to a meeting with other Chinese in the business world, and you'll see them eager to please in their English almost perfect command...