24 May 2005

A Night to Regret

It was still David and I this evening, so we decided to try eating at a popular vegetarian stall about 10 minutes from our place. I have heard about it but have not tried it myself. I'm not sure whether it is popular because the food is good or because it is the only vegetarian stall in town (besides the one in college). Anyway, we were supposed to eat and then pick up two friends from KLIA who have just returned from Penang.

However, when we got to the place it was closed. Even eateries nowadays follow public holidays.... So we went to the mamak stall opposite. It had been a long time since the last time we both had nasi kandar, so we had just that.

A very big mistake.

I know my limitations when it comes to spicy food, so I took the ayam madu, which is usually very mild and very sweet. However, it seems that the chicken is very hot and not so sweet. I took a little of the fried cabbage, and even that had whole black pepper inside. Gosh, thinking about it is making me sweat right now! I used up 4 thick serviettes to wipe my face and neck as sweat just keeps coming out with every bite! As a result, I had to eat very fast, causing a very bloated feeling. The only thing that was redeeming was the iced Horlicks. It had been at least a year since my last cup and this one was just dee-li-shious! Rich, creamy, and very sweet!

Another problem soon cropped up though. Drinking the Horlicks and another 250ml of cold water (to douse my internal flames) made my bladder full. The toilets at the mamak stall were locked, and we were a little pressed for time as my friends would be touching down any minute, so we made a move. Indeed, a few seconds later my friends did. We were still far away so I had to SMS them that we would take 20 minutes. We promptly rushed there and managed to reach the airport within the promised time. Another 15 minutes, and my bladder was ready to blow up. I turned into the parking bay, asked David to switch off my engine, and walked as quickly as I could to the nearest toilet, not bothering to go up to my floor first. Once there, I stood silently for 2 minutes while I let loose....

Definitely not a healthy way to spend an evening.

Oh, I did call the crazy lady at 3pm sharp. She answered the phone after 4 or 5 rings, and asked me to speak louder. I tried not to as I was talking in my best Mandanese (Mandarin + Cantonese) but she eventually recognized me and went on saying about how she lost her bag with her money, camera, bla bla bla. She asked me if I knew Malay, and when I replied in the affirmative, she called someone else to give me the address. It was very noisy in the background, and I struggled to catch what she said along with entering enough coins into the public phone. I managed to copy it down, and quickly said my thanks before slamming down on the headset. I am not keen to hear the lady repeat what she said 5 times already. The phone call cost RM1, exactly the amount she gave me.

I was getting ready to develop her photo along with some others but stopped short after realizing the unfeasibility of paying the RM5 processing fee as I did not have enough photos. I decided to wait until next week, when I would develop a photo album for the camp. I would have more than 30 photos then and be able to avoid the processing fee. I'm sure the lady would be able to wait a week for it.

I came up with a list of things to do today. I have not finished any one of them.

Time flies. Oh wait, it has flew away.

No comments: