24 May 2005

Cheated of 50 Sen

I went to town immediately after my 8am class to cash the RM1000 cheque. I also wanted to cash in an extra RM100 I borrowed from the camp fund. Apparently, the postdated cheque was absolutely logical as last Saturday was a holiday, so it wouldn't be useful until today (24) anyway.

Anyway, I wanted to check my tyre's air pressure as I would be travelling again this weekend. Strangely, though, my usual Esso station does not have the hose installed. "Perhaps it malfunctioned," I thought. So I drove down a little more and came to a Petronas station. Once again, the pump was without the hose. A very strange and frustrating thing indeed!

I decided to forget about it for now and head on down to the bank. The cheque is to be cashed, so I planned to deposit that into my savings account until we need it this weekend. I didn't know how to write the deposit slip for that transaction, so I just wrote it for the RM100 cash first.

After waiting 5 minutes, my number was called up and told the banker what I wanted to do. She asked me to sign behind the cheque, and then gave me another deposit slip and asked me to fill it up. She told me that she would cash the cheque first, and then deposit it as cash. Alright, so far so good.

But then she asked me to pay RM0.50 commission for each transaction. So it's RM1 for both (RM100 and RM1000). I was wondering by then - why couldn't she have just asked me to add a '1' in front of the first RM100 slip and be done with it? It would have been the same anyway.

Except that in this case, the bank earns RM0.50 from this naive boy.