08 May 2005

Anguished Updates

I thought I had long left behind the days when I would lose file data
due to power outages of hard disk crashes. Unfortunately, it happened
today after a very long absence.

Despite claims to the contrary, I love micromanaging people, and I
have been typing a very detailed breakdown of work to be done by the
committee of my camp. However, when I opened the file this afternoon
to continue work on it, I noticed that 1/3 of what I have written is
gone.

I panicked. I spent one whole morning doing that part!

After thinking hard about what happened, I realized that I lost my
file when I synced my Palm. I made an edit on the Palm version and one
on the PC version. So when I synced it, the Palm version overwrote the
PC version.

Desperate attempts to recover the file through a wonderful software
called Norton GoBack failed, which severely reduced its wonderful-ness
factor.

No comments: