07 May 2005

Over-Hyped Hawkers

Malaysia, famous as a food haven, naturally has many 'must-eat' places. And each city has its famous and 'trademarked' dishes, be it char koay teow, nasi kerabu, roast duck, tandoori chicken, etc.

Then again, there are those over-hyped hawkers, places where the food is mediocre but was somehow elevated to god-like status by god-knows-who! Oh, and believe me, they do wield their heavenly powers to its full extent. One char koay teow stall I know in Penang forces you to collect your own order and charge you triple the price for half the usual amount of food. I don't condone diva-like behaviour, so I have not eaten there.

In Nilai, there is a wan tan mee stall that only opens at 2am and closes before sun breaks. I do not know what is so special about it or why the owner feels such an affinity for the graveyard shift, so that's why I did not bother to join my friends this (early) morning as they set out to try it for the first time. David is still sleeping soundly, so I'll ask him when he wakes up.

No comments: