26 May 2005

Campus Tour

When I went in to our student body office this morning, one of them asked me if I was free now. I didn't have any class till 2, so I said that I was. She asked me if I could be a student helper to assist in conducting a campus tour for a secondary school. I was a little reluctant, but I supposed it would be a fun experience to do that once, so I agreed to it.

We were supposed to meet up with the marketing people in 30 minutes time, so I decided to stay in the office rather than walking all the way back to my room. However, when 30 minutes came around, I was told that the tour has been delayed till 12. I was a little perplexed, but luckily I brought my Palm along so I managed to read some notes, do some camp planning, and play some games all on one device.

At 12pm we (me and one experienced guy) went to the Marketing office. Apparently, they weren't there yet. We sat in the cosy lounge till 12.40pm, and the students were STILL at another nearby college ('College B'). The marketing officer complained that the school did not have the courtesy to inform them of their lateness, and I totally agree about their rudeness.

Anyway, during these campus tours, everyone is given RM4 worth of cafeteria vouchers. Us helpers were given ours, so we went off to take our lunch first. I ate alone as I wasn't that close to the rest of the people in charge. Anyway, after eating I went back up the office and waited till 1.40pm, when they FINALLY came! So we joined them at the Library where an officer gave an introduction to the high-tech services available such as reserving books online. Strange, I have never been able to do that before. Misrepresentation?

Apparently, I didn't have to do much but stand there and be a statue. I just followed them around a bit and then at 2.05pm I took my leave (without their notice) and went to class. Before I left, though, I overheard one of the students saying to his friend, "At least the people here dress better than College B."

I think that's a great comment, but I can hardly agree to the fashion sense of the college students here. Seriously, some really think that wearing Giordano's "Me" t-shirts speak to their individuality. And earrings seems to be getting popular among the guys, especially the straights. And bleached hair? Everywhere.

No comments: