14 July 2005

Sin-ful Enjoyment

I finished watching Sin City. Alex recommended it to me, but I wasn't interested when I first read the two-line synopsis. But I downloaded it anyway after reading some favourable reviews, and I gotta say, I liked it. I didn't like the violence and gore, but I appreciated the fresh camera perspective and artistic black-and-white videography.

You'll see white blood, yellow blood, good ole red blood, heads being chopped off, genitals being mutilated, and dead people talking. This is one of the most violent movies I watched, and I even fliched in some parts. That's pretty gory, considering that I laughed my way through Kill Bill Vol. 1, another excellent gore fest.

But the 3 story branches kept things fresh, especially when the monologue-driven movie starts to get dull. But even if you are not interested in the talking or violence, you might be able to appreciate the pure aesthetic style of the film, which really resembles a comic book. Considering that it is an adaptation of Frank Miller's comic novels, that's a good thing.

You definitely won't find such a film playing in local Malaysian cinemas. Head on to your favourite VCD store now!

No comments: