25 July 2005

Grumpy

Something weird happened this morning - I woke up at 9.30am! As silly as that sounds, that doesn't usually happen. I usually wake up around 8am on days that I don't have early lectures. To wake up after 9am, I would have needed to sleep really late the night before, sometime around 2am or so. But I crashed in around 12.30am, which is a little late, sure, but not something I haven't been doing regularly. I remembered having a dream, though I don't recall a single detail. I was never good with recalling dreams, unlike David.

Anyway, I got really grumpy when I went to print my assignment just now. The printing and photostat centre was swamped with students trying to print, photostat, and bind their documents. There were only 4 permanent workers there and you could see how stressed out they are. Some of the students, including myself, had to help ourselves to the printer and collect it manually. It was a horrendous scene and I wasted 30 minutes in that crowded room. The situation is so bad because:
  1. Final semester students are printing their 200+ page thesis

  2. The network printing system is down, forcing students to pay for every printout even when there is sufficient money in their prepaid accounts

  3. They do not have enough people working. Even in the past, when they were just handling photostating services, it was common to have to queue very long. Then the management had to pass the printing service to them, doubling the problem

  4. Their services are expensive as they have a monopoly. C'mon, RM4 for plastic binding?


  5. When I finally managed to evacuate the area with my bound assignment in hand, I already had a throbbing headache. I'll have to get my own laser printer if this situation continues. Any good models to recommend? Drop me a comment, k?

No comments: