17 July 2005

I'm So Vain!

I love Carly Simon's classic You're So Vain, supposedly targeted at one of her former lovers.

Anyway, I'm not talking about her here. I decided, after more than a year, to dye my hair. I can't exactly remember the last time I bought those DIY boxes, but it was definitely some time back. I had resolved back then that beauty lies deeper than my hair colour so I stopped naturally. But I'm going for it this time, coz next Friday is Installation Night. It will be the first time since May that I'm venturing out of this small town, and I want to look my best. I've already got the shirt, so now it's just the hair. For those who do not know me, I've got a medium concentration of grey hair around the back and sides of my head. And all I wanna be is to look fab when I stroll into the Royal Adelphi, Seremban next Friday.

I wanted something dark-reddish, because I see brown and blonde everywhere. There are no 'famous' brands (Wella, etc) being sold at the 'hypermarket' here, so I settled for ColorPro, an unimaginative brand as it is. I chose Color #6 - Copper Blonde, which seemed about right for me.

When I came back, I took out half of the Developing Lotion to keep for my second application. I have short hair, so usually I can get two applications out of a bottle. Anyway, I squeezed in the Colorant Cream, and then I began shaking the mixture. To my shock, the cream didn't turn copper blonde... it's not even brownish at all! It's purple! A purple hair dye! When I squeezed the cream out I realized that my eyes were not playing tricks on me! I had a slightly sinking feeling when I started applying the cream. What if my hair actually turned out purple? It'll just look gothic! But I had faith in the magic of chemicals, so I continued anyway.

I then remembered the reason why I stayed away from hair dyes for so long. When I started massaging the cream in, I felt suffocated by the hydrogen peroxide. Old memories were brought to the fore - the last time I used one of these, my eyes actually hurt and watered. Gawd... how could I forget that?

(sigh) All in the name of beauty.

Anyway, almost 15 minutes have passed. The leaflet recommended 25 minutes, but from past experience, I'll let it oxidize for an hour or so.

No comments: