03 July 2005

I Am Not For Sale!

While finishing up my assignment just now, I received a call from an acquaintence. He is a fellow committee member in Buddhist Society. Anyway, he isn't a very bright student and he needed some help in drawing some UML diagrams in System Architect, a god-forsaken software that is totally unusable. But we had to use it as it was the official software used in our syllabi.

At any rate, I agreed to help him as he doesn't know how to use it. Why not? Because he didn't go to the lab classes when it was being taught. But kindness doesn't need a reason, so I went anyway.

Halfway through showing them the steps to draw a Class diagram in it, his group mate suggested that I do the work for them, and they'll pay me for it. I instantly declined and said that it was their project, not mine. Who does he think I am? My services are not for sale, and I cannot be bought with money. I instantly lost interest in teaching them, and my resolve was made stronger when he lit up a ciggarette and started puffing away in that small little room. I finished showing them the steps and I got the hell out of there.

How disrespectful.

No comments: