07 July 2005

Democracy Scam-ocracy

I'm surprised some people don't realize that democracy is a sham. While parts of it exist, I have not seen an organization that is successful because its leader is 100% democratic. I of course believe in the importance of freedom, but I also believe that there needs to be a scope to that freedom.

I know this young lady who tried to organize a small event democratically, and it fell miserably on its face. Every little decision was left up to the 'majority vote'. Not only does this take a lot of time, people tend to lose focus, when not even the leader seems to be leading.

The best example of the incompleteness of democracy are Annual General Meetings, or specifically, elections. When I myself was young and naive, I had believed that the Board of Librarians' AGM was carried out in a democratic fashion. Of course, that idealistic view of mine was shattered when I myself was elected. This trend went on with every committee that I sat on. Buddhist Society is no exception. We have engineered our next term committee, and we have even informed the candidates that they will be chosen! However, the election tomorrow will be carried out transparently, so there can be no tampering of votes. But I believe they have a way of twisting things around...

No comments: