19 July 2005

Scrap Metal Chef

Cooking is an innate interest of mine, though not necessarily an innate talent. I try to cook at least once for my friends every semester. I did so again today and my main dish was popiah - Chinese spring rolls. These are the non-fried variety and was (supposed) to contain bangkuang, carrots, and mushrooms. However, I could not find a single mushroom in the lame wet market I went to. Yes, it's that bad. I didn't plan to come to this particular market actually. My great-aunt who lived nearby told me that there's a much better market at the next town. She had only given me vague directions, but I decided to try it anyway.

So at 7.30am Albert and I drove towards the place. After almost 20 minutes of driving along winding kampung roads and not seeing 'the place', I decided to make a U-turn and just go to that lame market. I wouldn't want to be driving for another 50 minutes and find myself in another country, so I played safe.

And that's where we found ourselves - the lame wet market. I can't believe how expensive meat costs nowadays! One whole chicken breast is RM4.50! Just as I was finishing my marketing, it started raining heavily. As if the morning wasn't bad enough! We had to dash through the rain to my car, and I got a little soaked.

At any rate, we got back and I took a shower. David was still sleeping then. After the hot shower it was around 9.20am, and I begun preparations. By the time I was done it was almost 12pm, so I called the guys to come round. And we ate.

The verdict? It sucked!

The simple fact is that bangkuang and carrot forms the base ingredient; there must be the extra flavourful kick to make it taste great. Seafood popiah uses seafood and dried prawns, but in keeping with the vegetarian spirit I chose mushrooms. But as I wrote, there wasn't a single mushroom (the black Chinese ones anyway) found at the market. I wonder if it has anything to do with the rainy weather we have been getting lately?

Anyway, I've cleaned up everything. I gave some of the popiahs to other friends, hoping that they don't get food poisoning. I have almost 25 pieces of the popiah wrapper left and I don't know what to do with it. I don't think it can last much longer. My bed is now littered with the utensils I used. I'm too tired now and I can't sleep as the utensils have yet to dry. I can also sense that this post is boring and lengthy.... gotta... rest...

No comments: