27 July 2005

The Perils of Blogging Part 1

Blogging is not just posting some silly sentences hoping that someone will read it, you know.


OK, maybe it is, but there are hidden dangers related to blogging that I wish to highlight. A few days ago, one blog I was beginning to grow fond of was suddenly removed from the Internet. I found out from the owner that he was forced to do so after being threatened by his company management. Apparently, he had posted some photos of his workplace that did not exactly put the employer in a good light, and someone printed his blog out and showed it to the Boss. His boss summoned him into the office immediately, berated him at length, and asked him ('ask' is too polite) to remove the blog and send an apology letter to everyone in the department. Or else his contract will be terminated.

This is not an isolated case. In the (former) land of glory, the US of A, there has been many cases of workers being fired after their blogs were found to say something negative about the company. Bloggers are trying to campaign for their rights regarding this, but have so far been unsuccessful. My take is, until a legitimate body is formed to represent bloggers, progress cannot be ensured. However, to have a controlling organization goes against the ideas of blogs in the first place, so I guess we are caught in a deadlock.

All this shows that I should keep my anonymity longer. If I publicly reveal where I'm studying, I could get into trouble for criticizing the administration or the staff. I mean, I do love the college ('love' is too polite), but there are times when some ineptitude idiot makes life unbearable.

So, to my fellow bloggers, be careful - you are treading on eggshells. Or if you are a vegetarian, be careful - you are treading on rotten tomatoes.

No comments: