23 July 2005

Installation Night

The short story - Buddhist Society won 4 awards, namely:
  • Best Religious/Cultural Club

  • Best Charity Event

  • Outstanding Cultural/Religious Event

  • Outstanding Notice Board

We had many other nominations that we didn't win because we were competing with the Three Towers - Adventure Club (Top Club), STACT club, and Leo club. For example, my own Youth Camp was nominated for Best Event Review category but didn't win. I was a little surprised that it was only in one category. I thought it was in a few other categories... but that's fine.


The long story- We were supposed to start our journey at 6.30pm, which was already late. However, we had to wait for everyone and the 7-car entourage finally started off at 6.50pm... but then we detoured to a petrol station to refill on gas. Due to some glitches, we had left some people behind and a car was sent to pick them up while the others waited at the petrol station. By the time everyone was there and we could start our journey proper, it was almost 7.15pm.

Thankfully, the highway wasn't too crowded, and after some slow driving to keep everyone synchronized, we reached the hotel at 7.45pm. Strolling in fashionably late, we took our seats at the far end of the hall, just in time for the college President's speech. I was relieved that we didn't come strolling in while he was speaking, it would have been rude. But a close call nonetheless.

Not long after his speech dinner started. Buddhist Society, being vegetarian, has an edge here. While others had to rush, push, and juggle plates at the buffet line, Buddhist Society had the pleasure of eating directly at the table as the vegetarian food has been prepared especially for us. The downside to this is, of course, that we don't get refills. The dish portions are not that big, probably only a spoonful for each person. But we can have as much rice as we want, while fruits, dessert, pastry, and mushroom soup can be taken from the buffet line.

After dinner, the first round of awards started. Right off the bat, Buddhist Society won an award. I felt it was a good omen, and that we might finally break our record of 5. As we discovered later, we were close, but didn't make it. At any rate, there was a lot of team spirit whenever our name was announced in the nominee list. Everyone clapped and shouted their hearts out, though admittedly, our hearts were not as big as Adventure or Leo or STACT. But I still think we have come a long way, and despite the club Chairperson's feeling that he didn't do well, but I'm adamant that we did what we had to do.

There were a lot of phototaking sessions throughout the night. In fact, that was what I was doing most of the time. I've included many pictures below, showing, for the first time, myself! But don't scroll down yet, read what I have to write. The event ended on time around 11.25pm, and we didn't waste time going out and taking more photos in the lobby. There is a beautiful staircase just outside the ballroom, but it was already taken by the time we stepped out. I knew we would have to wait ages to actually get to pose there, so I gathered everyone and took them to another side of the large lobby where there was an unused service counter. There, we took photos like there was no tomorrow. I racked up more than 200 photos throughout the night.

We then debated on where to go next. Most of us were high from the night, so we wanted to go somewhere. There were a few suggestions, such as Putrajaya, KLIA, Port Dickson, or karaoke. I wasn't keen on sightseeing at night, especially when there's usually nothing much to see anyway. Plus, it would take much more driving to get there, which I don't fancy at all. I personally liked karaoke - it's been a long time since I shouted my lungs out. But they were planning to go to Red Box, which would require us to go to KL. Immediately, I disagreed. I'm not keen on driving so much so late at night as I know I'll be tired. I suggested a bistro near our college itself. I think most of us have not been there, and it, being an alcohol drinking place, should open till quite late. After a few more minutes of deliberation and still no group consensus, the drivers vetoed the decision and we went to the bistro.

And I am lucky that I suggested the bistro, because within a few minutes we had ordered our drinks, I can see that some of the drivers were already very tired, and so were the whole group. If we actually went to somewhere where we had to walk (PD, Putrajaya, Bintang Walk) or exert our physical self (Red Box), how in the world are we gonna make it back to college alive?

At the bistro itself, there arose some misunderstanding about a pineapple juice that wasn't ordered. However, it was in the bill which I paid for in advance. I only realized it when we were collecting money back and we noticed that error in the receipt. I quickly alerted the staff which were closing up. The manager kindly explained that they could not refund me my money so he asked if they could give me a cake in return. I understood their situation and I got a slice of strawberry cheese cake. I kept that cheesecake for breakfast, and it was the most exclusive breakfast I ever had! Though their cake won't match Secret Recipe's.

We went home, tired and battered, around 2am. I washed myself and I finally went to bed around 2.30am. David was still up as he was playing with his new O2 handphone. It looks pretty cool, plus it has Windows on it, so a lot of customization is possible. Maybe I'll write about his phone some other day. But for now, here are some photos of me and my friends at the society. If you are wondering who I am, I'm the only guy present in all of the following photos:


The fairest among them all...


Hmm... I suddenly look like a pimp.


With the winner of 2 awards that evening!


The boys of Buddhist Society

No comments: