03 June 2005

RM5? That's all?

Within my close clique of friends, I'm one of 2 people who have cars. But lately, I don't join them for their get-togethers over dinner, tennis, mamak, etc. So it was inevitable that they do not have enough space in that one car, so sometimes they request to use my car. I always agree reluctantly for various reasons. Today, I was asked for my car again and I just nodded and sounded extra-reluctant. So David (roommate) said that they'll reimburse me on petrol. I of course said that it wasn't necessary, along with the fact that they always offer when I've just filled up my tank.

Anyway, a few minutes back David gave me RM5 and said it was for the petrol they have used. I took it with a silent thank you - David was not someone who took 'No' for an answer. I gave a silent and confused thank you and kept it in my wallet.

But I can't help thinking - RM5? That's all?

Beyond that, petrol was never my concern. Sure, prices are increasing but my main concern when I let them use my car is that they will get into an accident. If anything happens, the situation gets stickier than a boys' PE locker room. I'll have to report back to my father and then there is the issue of who pays for the damages. And obviously, if an accident does happen, I won't be able to trust the car to themselves again, which puts a weight on the whole "friends trust friends" issue.

Thankfully, their record is perfect, but I find myself fearing the worse when I pass them the keys.

No comments: