10 June 2005

Egyptian Building Conspiracies

I'm referring, of course, to pyramid schemes.

These useless schemes can be found in many places, especially places with lots of people who have too much money they didn't earn themselves (read: colleges). I was having my dinner at the college cafeteria when a guy came up to me. He introduced himself and started telling me about this scheme. He showed me his card, and I immediately recognized the company's name as the one that has been circulating around the hostel DC++ network. They were holding a seminar on how to make tons of money while doing nothing at a nearby hotel. He was explaining how they will sell things, etc but I have already tuned out by then. I said that I was busy and he asked me to visit the Flash presentation on his website.

The fact that these short-lived schemes keep on appearing is because there are people gullible enough to join it. They make most of their income from the sign-up fees paid by Ordinary Joe and Boring Jill. Of course, there ARE people who can earn a lot of money.... but I am pretty sure that they have a lot of acquaintences and very few friends.

If anyone of you know me personally, please be informed that I'll keep a 10 feet distance from you if you EVER try to enrol me in these schemes. Be forewarned.