16 June 2005

I Have Gone Soft!

I went to the mock interview today. I had to prepare a cover letter & resume to submit in the process. Generally there were some niggling mistakes in my resume as expected, but the highlight was of course the interview itself.

I answered to a panel of 3 people. They asked very predictable questions for about 10 minutes & spent the other 5 commenting on my resume & interview. One comment that stood out for me was that I didn't sound assertive enough. I said all the right things- but didn't sound convincing!

That really hit me hard. I KNOW I can speak well, but where's that part of me that believed it? I still remember my debating days where I ate up my opponents with my sharp tongue. And also that time I gave a talk & managed to get the rapt attention of 80 people.

But it seems that my cultivation & mindfulness has taken that edge away. I barely entertained the audience with my monotonous voice during my talk at the last youth camp. Heck, I even declined to witness an exciting debate by saying that it is pointless to provoke our emotions (something that ALWAYS happens when you watch debates).

My goodness- what happened? I now resolve to be more of a lion's roar, not a cat's meow.

No comments: