09 June 2005

Reading the Newspaper

In my 1+ year studying here, I've only bought the daily newspaper twice. Yes, that's right. The first was last year, and the second was today. I hardly have time (and money) to read the RM1.20 newspapers everyday. Even back home where the paper arrives daily, I do not go it through cover to cover - there's just too much stuff to do!

I get my news reports either through a local news portal or the Yahoo! News RSS feeds. Even my daily comics come via my RSS aggregator.

Anyway, I bought the newspaper for a specific reason. I wanted to look through the Jobs section to find a job advertisement that fits my future skillset. I'm not planning to apply for any job, of course, but it is for the mock interview organized by my college's career counselling centre. They do this every semester for final year students, but I'm signing up for the 20 minute session now. Better to be safe than sorry, I always say.

One of the things I have to bring is the job advertisement to which I'm applying for. I wanted to be a lecturer, but since the counsellor said that usually lecturers need a Masters degree, I had to look for a simpler job. I'm more interested in the experience, not the job itself.

I am quite surprised and disappointed to see so little job adverts for programmers, system analysts, software engineers, etc. Didn't they all say they are short on IT labour?

No comments: