25 June 2005

Pungent Fingers

In Mahayanese Buddhism, one is urged, or shall I say, forbidden to eat any of the 5 Pungent Spices. This includes onions, garlic, and 3 others that I don't remember. The reason is the smell of the spices repel devas and attract hungry ghosts, plus it acts as an aphrodisiac. In short, it deters one's cultivation and practice.

Well, if that was true, then my left finger tips must be a new attraction for ghosts. I can still faintly smell the onion and garlic my left hand touched during the cooking competition on Wednesday. It is pretty strange as I have cooked with those two spices before, but I don't remember having their smell linger for more than a day. Plus I use Protext antibacterial shower cream everyday... what's happening?

And also, I'm going to change browsers to Mozilla Firefox. I've been a staunch supporter of Opera for many years now, but lately the new versions are getting out of hand. It's been incurring 100% CPU uitlization plus its eating up more RAM every second, even when I'm not doing anything! From the Windows Task Manager, I can see that Opera is now taking up 69,352K of memory. Oops, it's now 68,800K. Nope, it has just increased to 69,000K. All this is unreasonable, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S NOT DOING ANY PROCESSING! Even as I'm typing this entry into the browser, it takes about 1 second for my pressed keys to bceome alphabets on the screen.

We've come a long way, Opera, but the fat lady has sung, so it's over. Welcome, Firefox!

No comments: