22 May 2006

My Workout Plan

First off, may I just say, "Joshua, I hate you for dragging me into the path of becoming a gym bunny."

With that out of the way, let me just share with you my workout plan and you can tell me what you think about it. I'm no expert and I don't have a personal trainer, so I have to rely on the infinite wisdom of Google. Everything on the Internet is true. Wikipedia told me that, ok?

Monday: Chest, back, abs & 30 minutes of cardio
Wednesday: Shoulders, legs, abs & 30 minutes of cardio
Friday: Biceps, triceps, abs & 30 minutes of cardio

For each muscle group, I try to perform 3 sets of 3 exercises. Each set is between 8 and 12 reps at the moment but I'm looking to increase that over time. My gym is sparsely equipped so I may not always have 3 exercises for each muscle group, but I'm looking into alternative techniques with weights and dumbbells.

I take a small snack about an hour before starting my routine and I try to eat as much protein-rich foods after. I don't believe in protein shakes, partly because I'm afraid I will take too much which will make me fat. But I've come to change my views on that small matter. A couple of weeks back I placed an online order for a small bottle of cheap protein concentrate powder.

I'm not sure how effective it is but I am definitely seeing some improvements for the time it takes my muscle to recover. Again, I don't know how much the protein supplement helped. My gym buddy Dave thinks that it is just the placebo effect - a psychological boost to an otherwise limp bicep.

No comments: