21 June 2006

Whoa Nelly!

I've never had a high opinion of Nelly Furtado. I had the view that she only sings weird songs about being birds and eating men. I'm pretty demanding when it comes to my musical choices. Not only must the melody be catchy and unique, the lyrics must stand up to close scrutiny.

I fell in love with her recent single Maneater. Just like Pink's Stupid Girl, it has a little dash of rebelliousness with a whole serving of attitude. I downloaded her new album Loose and expected to find more of the same.

But what I got astounded me. There are quite a number of slow tracks and most of them are good. In fact, some are VERY good. My favourite thus far is "All Good Things":

Flames to dust
Lovers to friends
Why do all good things come to an end?

Very simple lyrics but the melody packages everything very neatly. The same can be said for most of the other tracks. The only song I can't stand is a completely Spanish track "No Hay Igual". It's bad enough I can't understand the lyrics, but the music attempted to bore through my skull.

For everyone else, if you have always thought of Nelly as a passing fad, get this album.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard her duet with Michael Buble? She sounded really good there, and I was really surprised cause like you, I've never really thought much about her..till I heard her in "Quando, Quando, Quando".

Zemien said...

Yes I heard that one. "Quando, Quando, Quando" is a good track, but it still didn't make me go "woah!" because it's not an original song. To impress me, a singer must show he/she is able to write beautiful lyrics and sing them too. I'm not too sure how much Nelly writes her own, but they are good enough for me to not bother.

But everytime I turn around you seem
So afraid of what people might say
But can't you see it's a game they play
Trying to cast a shadow on our love

- Showtime (Nelly Furtado)