24 February 2006

Uncommon Decency

The strangest thing happened when I went to the campus toilet this morning. There was a guy in front and when he entered the toilet he held the door open for me. I was shocked and stopped. He actually turned and faced me, and it was obvious he was holding the door for me. I thought that maybe his friend was behind me but there was no one. I have never seen this fella before, so it was definitely strange that he was so polite.

I quickly stepped in and muttered "Thanks", and he returned a "Welcome". I was too surprised that I didn't get a good look at his face or talk to him. I would have wanted to know where he is from because he sounded like a Chinese from his accent. But then again, it is hard to judge a person's accent from a single word.

The point is, I couldn't believe that such decency still exists. Men may hold open the door for a girl they admire, but he was a complete stranger. Even I don't do such things. The most I would do is to push the door back further so the other person can quickly slip in before the door shuts. But Mr. Decent actually turned around and held the door, meaning that it is a deliberate action.

I'm gonna pass it on and do that to someone else too. And so should you.

3 comments:

uncle boy said...

I'll do that.. even better.. I'll open the zippers for you too.. hahahaha (just kidding lol)

Zemien said...

daren: Oh, behave!

As an aside, after coming out of the toilet I related my experience to YY. I told him how polite I thought the guy was. Then YY said, "You mean the cubicle door?"

I was taken aback, "No, of course not the cubicle door. If he opened the cubicle door and asked me to go in, I would have ran away."

uncle boy said...

Hahaha.... open the cubicle door? hahaha... an invitation to a gayman world for sure.. give YY a smack in the head..