11 February 2006

Deeteereoraeteeng

Back in secondary school, I was one of the best students when it comes to English. I routinely won school essay competitions every year, and I'm praised by many of my English teachers. It wasn't that great, really, but I did have some flair for writing essays. So my spelling was almost impeccable to a fault.

Lately though, I find that my spelling (and grammar) is deteriorating. I haven't been writing enough. Sure, typing assignment reports require me to use English but the words I use are so mundane, technical, and dull. It has been a long time since I wrote a beautiful story that actually inspires and moves people. Seriously!

My spelling has taken a turn for the worse when I recently began confusing words that sound the same. I have caught myself using the wrong spelling numerous times now, and the trend is worrying. Some of the words I keep confusing are:
  • it's and its

  • deadline with dateline

  • bear and bare

  • thought and taught

  • leaving and living

  • this and these

I hope it doesn't get any worse.

3 comments:

joey said...

oh, i have that problem too! like than and then. and too and to. sigh, that sucks!

p.s.
im linking your page to mine. :)

Zemien said...

Thanks!

I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to link to it! I read your blog everyday too!

Anonymous said...

it's JUST like what i'm going thru.having been one of the best english students in school, i'm sad to say that these days my vocab has deteriorated into a pile of crap.