22 February 2006

The Problem With Being Friendly

I have lamented in the past about how the hostel residents are usually unfriendly towards each other. Not unfriendly in the sense that "I will kick your ass if you play your music over 80dB, you shit!", but unfriendly in the sense that we don't acknowledge each other in the corridor. We usually act ignorant and only smile at those we personally know.

I think this is not a good way to live in a community, but do you realize how tiring it would be if I knew everyone on my floor? I would have to smile and nod my head at every one of them, and that is just plain annoying. Everytime I go to the common bathroom I will pass by at least one guy, so imagine the inconvenience of having to say "Hi" 50 times a day.

Just this morning as I walked back from class I greeted about 4 or 5 people. And that was troublesome enough as I had to make sure I see them before they see me, as per my CFTDS theory. Let's assume I knew everyone in college - I would have to force a smile and nod my head every 0.3 seconds or else I'd be labelled as 'stuck up'. And that's enough to make anyone unfriendly.

No comments: