15 February 2006

Morning Rituals

I lived a stone throw's away from my secondary school, literally. Back then, school started at 7.45am. My friends would always tease me that I could wake up at 7.40am and still be punctual. But they were usually shocked to know that I wake up around 6.30am. They couldn't understand what I had to do in the morning that took an entire hour but I usually find it sufficient and necessary.

Taking a bath and other personal grooming takes up about 30 minutes, while another 30 minutes is spent on having breakfast and packing my school bag. My breakfast staple was cereal with milk and I absolutely loved it. I would pour the milk and let it soften the cereal before drinking it to the last slurp. A lot of youngsters do not take breakfast but it has somehow been ingrained into my DNA that I must have breakfast, no matter what. It is the most important meal of the day, after all.

Not surprisingly, this habit has been carried over to my college days. I sometimes have 8am classes. While some of my peers (and David too) will wake up 7.45am, and change into their day clothes before walking to class, I will set my alarm to 6.40am. It'll take me an hour just to get ready and have breakfast, with a little time left over to read the latest news.

What can I say? I blame the Capricorn in me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, dont blame for for dropping by??
anyway, i so agree with you.
getting ready in the morning takes a lot of time. grooming and all that.

Nightwalk said...

Morning Ritual is important. Good start is good beginning for the day. Even better if have time to exercise in the morning to keep ourselves fresh. I agree, it is not easy to do all of them. For those that only have short few hours sleep, may prefer dreamland instead.