09 February 2006

First Meetings

I'm back! ... sort of. I can't decide if I'm still depressed, but the fact that I'm writing probably means I'm not. At any rate, writing is one of the things that can keep me sane. Updates may not come as regularly, but they will come even if I need to drill a hole in my skull.

Anyway, there's something magical (read: embarrasing) about meeting someone for the first time. Whether it is a first date or just a normal encounter, it is indeed exciting to guess the person's face as he or she steps into the meeting area. The excitement is increased if both parties have spoken on the phone or chatted online, as we already have a preconceived image of what that person should look like.

Our college counselling centre organizes a peer tutor programme, where better students can help the weaker ones out. As I love teaching, I signed up to be a tutor from the very first semester. I had a couple of students in that semester, but after that I lay dormant until this semester. I was assigned a Civil Engineering student a few days ago and we exchanged a few SMSes to plan our first meet up.

I arrived early so I had to endure the agony of waiting. Everytime a new guy walks in I had to assess whether it was him. Just now, a guy loitered around aimlessly, and so I thought it was the CE guy. I walked up to him, "Are you CE?" He shook his head left and right. I hurriedly said a "sorry" and went back to my seat. When the real CE eventually came in, he also looked confused but I took the first step in reaching out my hand.

No comments: