13 February 2006

Graduating from the 'P' Sticker

After Malaysians pass (or pay enough money for their) driving test, we are required to display a "P" sticker on both ends of our vehicle. This is a clear indication to other drivers that you are:
  1. reckless
  2. inexperienced; and
  3. unafraid of Death
Therefore, they serve a real good purpose and P drivers are more easily forgiven for doing things like making a sudden turn without signalling.

Due to these fringe benefits, I left my P sticker on way after the 2 year obligation. I figured, "Hey, if this little P makes me the King of the Road, why not keep it there?" But a few months back I reluctantly removed it after realizing its disadvantage.

It is a crazy theory, but I think the highway police prey on innocent P drivers. I was once pulled over while on my drive back to Penang last year. I panicked and paid the RM50 bribe the officer asked for. Reflecting on the event, there was no way for them to have known who broke the speed limit. There were some other suspicious circumstances, but I do not recall them now.

Needless to say I formed the theory and promptly removed my P sticker. I have not been pulled over since, but I think smarter driving helped too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah....i'm going for my Undang soon.....