24 August 2005

Treading On Nails

I have a love-hate relationship with giving relationship advice.

On one hand, I lurrve giving (unqualified) relationship advice to my troubled friends, which is what I was doing this morning with Kenneth. He's in the usual rut after an argument and I'm just doing my duty as a friend to console him and tell him to stay strong. I just have an affinity towards dispensing advice, even though I have virtually no experience myself.

On the other hand, giving the wrong advice can lead to catastrophic results. Sometimes, giving any advice can lead to catastrophic results. Consider the following possiblities with troubled partners A & E:

  1. I tell A to go back to E, but E breaks up with A. A now hates me for giving wrong advice.

  2. I tell A to break up with E, but they remained a couple. Now E thinks I'm trying to drive them apart, and influences A to avoid me.

  3. I tell A to go back to E, and they remain as a couple for a while before finally breaking up anyway. Now when I console A, I have to lie and take a different position - thus affecting my reputation.


It just seems to be a lose-lose situation, being an advisor. Therefore, I sometimes choose to shut up, but I'm helping Kenneth this time as I want to have faith in love too.

In the meantime, I Googled that popular phrase "He is not the man I fell in love with" and got some pretty strange results.

No comments: