27 August 2005

Thankful

Some of my old classmates have gained entry into Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM). There are disputes pertaining to USM's correct English name, so I'll just stick with USM. Anyway, I asked them to take me on a tour around campus. It occupies a really large area so I thought there must be plenty to see. However, the tour lasted around 10 minutes of me driving around and them pointing our their lecture halls, library, hostel blocks, sports hall, swimming pool, etc. It might have lasted more than 10 minutes, I dunno, as I was frantically trying to listen to them while trying not to kill pedestrians. This ain't GTA, ya know!

I went into one of their rooms. It happened to be a very, very old block (Aman Damai) and it was quite an eye sore. Worse, the furniture inside the room is badly used and reeks of ancientness. Lighting is dim, and ventilation is provided by a small ceiling fan. At this point, I am eternally thankful for:

  • being able to choose my own room and roommate

  • having decent furniture in my room

  • a common bathroom big enough without having to cramp


But I believe the newer blocks are much much better.

No comments: