07 August 2005

The Quest For Dequadin

I'm not sure if it's due to the haze or to natural causes, but my tonsils are feeling a little itchy today. This is a symptom I must eradicate as soon as possible, especially with my exams tomorrow. I was out of Dequadin, those weak little orange lozenges that I used to suck to provide some relief. It won't cure sorethroats, but it does help sometimes. So I drove out to my favourite pharmacy to get it.

Upon reaching the place 10 minutes later, it was closed, so I drove on to the supermarket where they have it. Correction, had it. I was so disappointed to find out they didn't have any left. At any rate, I took the chance to get some milk and yogurt, and then headed off to two other pharmacies I knew. Closed.

I keep forgetting that in a small town like this, convenience stores never open on Sundays. Dejected, I went into 7-11 and bought Strepsils. Strepsils is the weakest lozenges I've ever seen. And it's full of marketing hyperbole. They have a variety of types, such as Vitamin-C, Extra Strong, Sugar Free, and Regular. I of course went for the Extra Strong but was curious as to what made it 'extra'. Apparently, nothing. If you turn over the packet/box and see the active ingredients, they all contain the same amount of antiseptic. That's just sad.

(My other favourite lozenge is Pharynx as they contain Benzocaine to make your throat numb, which is similar to Difflam - another expensive and overrated lozenge)

No comments: