06 August 2005

It's Starting To Get To Me

These past few days of notes-making and birthday-celebrating is starting to take its toll. I'm beginning to feel tired most of the time, even after I just woke up. I have 5 more days of trooping to go, and it's time I unveiled my secret weapons (no, not those).

The first, and the most basic, is Brand's Essence of Chicken. A standard arsenal in student's fight to stay alert, it has a small effect on me. I think it generally gives me more vitality (in studying, mind you), but it doesn't do the magic of the my Ace card.

The best traditional drink that I take is the ginseng-like tea. It isn't exactly ginseng but I was told it is closely related. I don't know the chinese name nor the english name; all I know is that it works wonders within the first 5 minutes you have your first cuppa. If I continue replenishing the water and consume it for the whole day, I find that my mind is always bright and clear even though the body is tired. Kinda like being on high... a good high, that is. It's pretty costly, but Dad got a great bargain when we were holidaying in China 4 months ago. I only drink it when it's truly necessary, so I'll probably take one piece out for Monday.

On another note, I'm beginning to get hooked on to Anna Nalick. Her songs (and voice) are a cross between Avril Lavigne and Alanis Morissette. Why do all female rockers have 'A' names? However, I like her better than the other 2 as her songs have less angst and usually more meaning. She just doesn't go off blasting other people or putting down her ex-boyfriends, and some of her slow songs are just beautiful. Take the chorus for "In My Head", for example:

In my head,
Your voice,
You've got all that I need,
And this make believe
will get me through
another lonely night.


She really yells out the lyrics but I feel so mellow when I hear those sad lyrics. Isn't it strange how we sometimes rely on our loved ones to comfort us, even though they're not here anymore? I know I do. The rest of the lyrics bring much more depth to the song, so I suggest you look out for her.

No comments: