05 August 2005

Birthdays and Betrayals

Last night (11.30pm) just as I was about to drive out to get some drinks for the surprise party, a friend messaged me on MSN. This particular friend has a way of coming online at the precise moment I had to leave! But he said he has something to tell me, so I stayed back and let him type. What came out next had me flabbergasted. I can't reveal the actual details here, but it boils down to him playing a sick joke on me for the past one month, and now he's apologizing. I feel so betrayed, coz I was really worried that time. And now he's telling me it was something that went on for too long? My friend's birthday is 25 minutes from now and I suddenly had this shit pie thrown at my face. I really wanted to know the reasons behind that joke, and I'm not entirely sure if this apology is the joke to throw me off, but either way, it wasn't funny. I had to go get the drinks, so I excused myself, leaving behind someone I thought was a friend.

I went to get the drinks as planned. OK, maybe I was 15 minutes late but I got the job done and I rushed back. I've never really done such a surprise before, you know, like waiting in a dark room and then greeting the birthday boy as he walks into the room. But that's what we did, and it was more suspenseful than I thought! Alvin's rommmate has already got him secured in another room, and the guys there were keeping him company. We got the candles lit up and the signal was sent for Alvin to come in. For a while, he didn't... apparently he didn't want to leave the other room! The candles were melting, so Jay (Alvin's rommmate) was starting to panic.

But Alvin finally came in, and we launched into the birthday song! He was really surprised, being shirtless and all, and he grinned happily as we blew out the candles on his two cakes. When I asked him later, he said he had no inkling of our plans and was truly surprised. I guess I was wrong, surprises do happen to some. At any rate, it was a birthday party alright... we even had a magician! Kelvin, an aspiring street magician, did a few card and coin tricks, generally wowing everyone.

I was also proven wrong about the 2 cakes - 9 people can finish them! I had two slices of the Apple Filling cake and it was as good as I thought! I didn't have the chocolate cake although it looked good - I know my limits. Anyway, we finished around 1.30am, and I didn't sleep till 2.15am to let the sugars wear off a bit. Here's a group photo during the cake cutting ceremony:



To protect privacy, I had to shield everyone's faces except the birthday boy. Ain't he cute? ^_^ Actually, there was no need to blur my face as my pic is already here, but I was so messy then (old shirt, unkempt hair, oily face, unshaven chin) that I prefer to hide under those square pixels.

No comments: