20 August 2005

Mission Accomplished

I did not post anything this past couple of days because I was really busy with a couple of things. First, Dad's Toshiba laptop konked out and I had to reformat the hard drive. And knowing him, I had to make it as foolproof as possible so a lot of time was spent just sitting there and watching installation bars fill up.

Secondly, Kenneth's PC also konked out. The difference is that he has some important photos (ahem) to backup before he reformats it, and I had been asked to help. It was supposed to be a simple operation - my original plan was to remove his hard drive and plug it into the external HDD enclosure. Then I would use my laptop to read his files and get them out. However, we hit a snag when we couldn't access his user folder. This is a security feature in Windows XP that will lock out user folders away from prying eyes.

With it, things got messier and I had to take the hard drive home. I scoured the Web for resources that will help me break the security and a lot of them required some pretty tedious tricks. In the end, I got lucky and found NTFS Reader, a software that allows Windows 9x users to read NTFS drives, regardless of security settings. I was grinning from ear to ear as I finally got everything out and did a maniacal laugh: MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No comments: