29 November 2005

Narnia

One of the most highly anticipated films this Christmas is the adaptation of the first book in The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. There are several books in this series, so it could spawn off another film series ala Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. I am looking forward to it even though I haven't read the book.

Asked to choose between book and movie, I will gladly pick books anytime. Dad doesn't understand why people like to waste energy reading when they can just pay RM8 and watch the big screen version? I personally like the written word and using my imagination to flesh out my own fantasy worlds.

So, I did what anyone else would do - I downloaded a copy of Narnia off BitTorrent! It was the entire series, and I'm shocked that the first book (L, W, & W) is only 80 pages long! But I don't blame him (C. S. Lewis) because it was written way before J. K. Rowling proved that kids can finish 700-page books in a night.

What this means, however, is that the movie will follow closely to the book. Unlike Harry Potter, the editors do not have to trim too much of the book to make the movie fit within a couple of hours. This is fantastic and I'm sure the fans will appreciate that, rather than being served an incomplete Harry Potter.

I'm off to read, do not disturb.

No comments: