17 November 2005

Big, Sad Joke

Whenever I come back for my break, I will surely take some time to visit my alma mater. It is always great to see the positive changes in the school that have taken place since I left. A new academic block, air-conditioned library, and a supportive ex-boy community are some of the things that I missed out on.

Anyway, I went to visit the school counselor this morning (my main liaison with the school). While briefing me on the latest changes in the school he casually mentioned a British Council youth camp thingy in Philippines. I was instantly interested, although I'll need to take 10 days off my studies. It was worth it because these trips are fully sponsored and I've never been to Philippines before.

When I came home I did research on the event. Officially, it is called the Young Global Citizens Project. The camp is all about cultural understanding and leadership training. The application requirements weren't trivial either - I had to write a 500-800 word essay or give a 3-5 minute audio/video presentation. But I reckoned I could do it since I'm no puss when it comes to writing.

I slowly got more excited about the event and I even told Dad about it. I read more about last year's camp and started outlining the contents of my submission essay. That is, until I saw the biggest, most cruel joke of all. Written at the bottom of the page in bold words:



Closing date for application is Monday 7 November 2005 at 12 noon.

I am, like, "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" Why couldn't I have learned about this earlier? To get my hopes all high and then drop me into a free fall, letting me land head first into the concrete floor. That's just terrible.

No comments: