01 March 2006

Uncomfortable Silence Part 2

[This is a direct continuation from yesterday's post]

Mr. M called out my name and I put up my hand. "Sir, how? OK ah?" I asked with enthusiasm. He hesitated a little just to add an element of suspense, "Er... no problem. OK!" I sighed with relief. He kinda said it with a hint of sarcasm but he doesn't seem to be that kind of person so I took my seat.

Then he started distributing our answer scripts. He called out, "Who is [YY]?" YY was absent so Mr. M announced his marks, "He got 22.5/50. He and [Zemien] were the only people to pass." That kinda got the whole room quiet. Then he went on by calling out names, but did not reveal the marks.

When Jay got his marks he immediately folded it and did not want to let us see. Alvin went next and he did the same thing. I began to get worried, "Is it that bad?" I have seen people getting bad results, but I haven't seen people getting it so bad that they hid it from others.

After everyone got their marks Mr. M didn't address me, so I went and asked for mine. He was once again hesitant but he gave it anyway. When I looked at my marks, I got a shock and my jaws literally dropped.

"46.5? Forty six point five over fifty?" To say I was happy would be an understatement. But a kind of sadness hung over me. How would the others feel, I thought? The next highest is YY at 22.5, but he's not here now. And when I showed my marks to my friends, I got a lot of Oohs and Aahs but I knew that what followed would be uncomfortable silence.

I want to reach out and say, "It's OK" but I know that's not gonna work. It's the same thing with other tragedies such as the death of a loved one. I want to comfort them but I know they know I'm not qualified, coz I haven't lost a loved one nor have I gotten 'bad' results in college.

It was hard for them no doubt, but it wasn't nice being the odd one out either.

3 comments:

Innocent^^Guy said...

If only I am there, maybe we will stand out together? Ha ha...but I rather not take that chance. I guess probably, it will add another member to the "Folding paper clan" in the class. It alwis happens...hehe

uncle boy said...

hey! well done dude... you must be your Mr. M favourate student than.. I've been there b4, the Lecturer used to read my answer for other to do correction/reference.. its more embarrasing when they copied every single words! Keep up the good work pal!!

Zemien said...

nope, Mr. M takes no favourites (and prisoners). He even puts immense pressure on his daughter. He told us how he's still not satisfied that she was awarded some outstanding award less than a year in the company.

he's scary...