26 March 2006

Unappreciated Gestures

I just came back from a sharing session with Stephanie and Wong, two ex-students of my college. They were invited by the college to give a talk as part of the Info Day event. The unfortunate thing was, no one came except me. I almost did not turn up myself, but I'm thankful I did because it was very educational.

Stephanie is an Analyst Programmer with a leading IT consultancy firm while Wong is a Technical Consultant with a world-renowned networking products vendor. They came back to share their experiences and I really learned a lot from them. I got to ask them regarding their initial interview process and how the IT field is really like out there.

Though only scheduled for 30 minutes, it stretched out to an hour. I had more questions, but I didn't want to hold them back from their appointments. Anyway, I managed to get their e-mail addresses and will ask them more questions. I just felt it was a big waste that none of my other peers came. But they are not entirely to blame - bad publicity for the event and an awkward time slot are major factors as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were you referring to Wong Chee Voon in your post? He came once about a month ago to give a little speech about the IT field today,more specifically, the networking field. I nearly missed that talk if not for my lecturer who told us about it 30 minutes before the presentation. Makes you wonder why INTI bothers inviting all these guests and not providing us students with a proper announcement or something.

Zemien said...

Yes, it was him.