13 March 2006

The Simple Life

I have a small cooler hidden in my room. I can't call it a mini-fridge because it doesn't work like a fridge, nor does it work as well as a fridge. By hostel regulations we're not allowed to use such high-powered equipment so I place it in a way that outsiders won't notice it.

Dad got it almost two years ago as part of those credit-card bonus points scheme. And exactly last year, I brought it here to use because it would be useful. And indeed it has. I can chill my drinks, and keep my temperature sensitive food like margerine and jam.

Unfortunately, it stopped working last week. I was sad, but the scientist in me tried to find out what's wrong. I unscrewed the back cover and was surprised to see a very simple construction. There is basically a heatsink where all the heat dissisipates and a 12V cooling fan that blows on it. I suspect that the fan has spoiled, which will explain why the inside cannot turn cold. It's a common computer cooling fan, so I will get one the next time I go out.

Until I get the fan though, I have to go back to the simple life. No more breakfast of home-made sandwiches. No more 1 liter fruit juices. It's back to red bean buns and instant cereal mixes.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Pluboy2 said...

hey, cool posts :p
keep it up, i'll be reading more later :)

ciows

Zemien said...

Thanks pluboy@takashi! Glad you are enjoying them as much as I enjoy writing it! I am all about pleasing the reader after all.

More good posts coming up this whole week so stay tuned!