19 March 2006

The Battle Against Urinal Urophobia

Urophobia - Fear of urine or urinating

Fear not, dear readers! I have not stopped urinating due to weird suggestions.

For a long time I feared peeing at the urinal. All throughout my life I only peed in cubicles, probably out of habit. It was only 3 years ago that I realised how shy I am and made a resolve to be more casual about it.

It began disastrously, though. I just couldn't pee as I felt weird hanging out my willy in the open. Even if it's technically not out in the open. The problem got worse if there are other people at the urinals as well, as I was under pressure to perform. And the more pressured I became, the less I am able to pee, which resulted in even more pressure.

It was a long and hard journey (pun not intended) but I finally overcame it with lots of practice and willpower. I still feel a little awkward when there are many people around the area but it's not as bad as three years ago. Of course there were bad moments as well. Two years ago I was taking the ferry from the mainland to Penang island. I went to pee and while I was trying to get it going on, I noticed this old man to my left who was peering at... well, you know, that. I was so shocked and he didn't even try to hide himself - his head was obviously cocked to the right. I couldn't start peeing at all and I got scared because I was afraid he might think I was there for "fun" as well. I quickly zipped up without peeing and fled the scene.

I think that incident set me back several weeks of practice but I'm glad I no longer have urinal urophobia anymore.

Anyone else has any weird fears that they would like to admit?

3 comments:

Innocent^^Guy said...

well, u should see the cubicles here. I dunno if its just in the uni or wat...they kinda like, the shape is awkward? I just feel like I have to spread my legs bigger to get close enough to the cubicle to pee and at the same time provide shelter to Little Brother John from onlooking pee-ers...

joey said...

LOL, i kinda have that urinal urophobia thing. i guess im mre comfy witht he cubicles. but at desperate times, when im forced to use the urinal, i still use them, though it feels really weird. maybe it's just me ><

Anonymous said...

It's much more convenient to use urinals. The turnover is faster than the cubicles. However, there are urinals that I hate to use. Some are more "exposed" than others. No better than using those "longkang" types.