12 October 2005

Sucker for Free Food

I admit it - I'm a sucker for free food.

Our college had its Academic Awards Presentation today but I didn't go. I was slated to receive an Excellence Award but I didn't go because it is an absolute waste of time. My performance has been recognized by a piece of certificate several times now, but I've only been to the Academic Presentation once, and promptly swore never to attend again.

For all the trouble of wearing formal dress, I had to sit and listen to boring speeches for 30 minutes before they start calling out names. And then I had to sit some more while clapping my hands for the 250 other students waiting for their own turn. When I finally got my 10 seconds of fame, it went by with a hand shake and a cert pushed hastily in my hands.

It's not like I get to make a speech.

It's not like I get a cash prize.

It's not like reporters are there to take my photos.

What I do get, however, is free food. Yes, free as in FREE FOOD. This time, they were serving pastries. In each box is an egg tart, a sardine puff, a bun, and a kaya puff. Pretty good stuff overall.

But wait! How did I get it if I didn't attend the ceremony? Well, I was walking back from a briefing when I saw the FREE FOOD placed outside the hall. It was manned by a few general workers, so I strolled by casually and took my box of FREE FOOD as if I was a victim of the event. And they didn't suspect a thing! Of course, I had the booklet with my name inside to use as proof if they became suspicious.

Yes, I am that cheap.

No comments: