12 October 2005

Prunes

Prunes are a strange fruit - they're not very popular in this part of the world. Indeed, one look at the sticky, black ball of fruit can scare first timers away. That was my reaction as well, especially since prunes are rarely found here. But one or two bites into the sweet fruit and I'm addicted for life!

I started enjoying prunes after seeing the Sunsweet TV ads (anyone remember that?). The announcer will go to shopping malls and then ask random people to try it while showing their reaction. Obviously, it only showed those positive responses. But the ad campaign worked, and it made me give prunes a try - and I like it a lot.

If I were to describe it, it will be a cross between grapes (for its taste) and raisins (for its texture). In fact, I think all three come from the same family or something. Sunsweet prunes come from California, after all. The only gripe I have is that they are very expensive as it is imported. Not much different from buying fresh grapes. So I only get to eat prunes, like, once a year and I enjoy every moment of it.

No comments: