08 October 2005

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

I've mentioned in an old post that of all the blocks in my hostel, it is only my block that does not have a DIY washing machine. It was because there was already a dobi/laundromat at the back of my block, so it kinda constituted unfair competition.

But yesterday I noticed that a washer and a dryer has been installed on our ground floor. And just now the guard on duty confirmed my suspicions - the dobi has closed down.

I was delighted as I did not have to carry my dirty underwear across to the next block anymore. I only felt a small twinge of pity for the dobi because they were never really good to start with. I only went there once when I was a new student, and regretted my visit. It was not cheap, and their service wasn't that good. True enough, my clothes did not come back smelling like detergent, they smelt like it was only washed with water!

Obviously, the introduction of the washing machines last semester spelt death for the dobi. All hail the coin-operated washers!

No comments: