24 April 2006

Let Me Reiterate My Point

The previous post may seem a little harsh, so let me provide two examples that happened today at Angkor Wat to shed light on what I mean:

CASE 1:
I was holding a digital camera with video capabilities and Dad was holding a photo-only DSLR camera. While we were walking around the main area of Angkor Wat, Dad asked for my camera to record some video. He took one of the steep steps leading to one of the three main pagodas. However, that particular flight of steps was closed off, so it wasn't very nice. I commented, "You should have video-ed one of the steps that were not closed off."

And he replied, "That's because I expected you to video it."

CASE 2:
It was already 5pm but he insisted on climbing up the stairs. He went ahead first as I had to pack all my stuff into my backpack. When I was about to go up I saw him waving at me to stay there. I thought that maybe it was about to close so they didn't want anyone going up anymore. I waited patiently for him to come down for 25 minutes. I dared not go off on my own because he demanded we stick together. When he finally came down I asked him why he didn't want me to go up.

He replied, "You have bad balance."

In both cases, I was left speechless and so frustrated I didn't even bother to reply. I could have replied with another witty remark, but he is protected by parental immunity so all I could do was grin (barely) and bear with it. Can you see now the source of my unhappiness? How can one go on a backpacking holiday when instructions and communication are almost one way? He has a natural distrust of strangers and always assume the worst. Those two qualities may keep us alive, but it is NO fun and he ends up being rude to all the people around him as if he is a more superior human being.

*sigh* Ranting is chicken soup for my soul. Now back to another torrent of verbal abuse tomorrow.

1 comment:

William said...

I always blurt out a glib reply and regret it later. The guilt.. the guilt.. The best thing is to shut up.