30 September 2005

Why I'm Not In Love

Some friends have wondered, "Why are you not in a relationship?"

Here's why.

I'm a perfectionist at heart. I don't like to do something without completing it to the end, and to the best of my ability. In other words, I don't like to waste my effort.

At the moment, I'm studying 500km from home and I only go back during breaks. Furthermore, I'll graduate by next August if all goes well. Therefore:
  • I can't date someone from my home town because I'll be away for most of the year. No doubt, I'll graduate by next year but then I don't like to do long distance relationships. I tried it out once, with disastrous effects. The fact is, long distance relationships can work if and only if there is a strong base. And that strong foundation has to be built before a couple becomes long distance. I neglected that advice, and paid the price for it.

  • I can't date someone in college or in this part of town because it will become a long-distance thing when I return home during holidays. Furthermore, I'll be graduating soon. What becomes of 'us' then? I plan to work a bit after college, and I'll go wherever the job is. That might be back home, Kulim, Kota Bahru, or even Miri! Of course, being close to my father would be my first choice.
So you see, the situation is plain and simple. Until I can settle down in one spot and ensure that I have better odds at a relationship, I will not commit to anyone or anything.

No comments: