22 September 2005

They Didn't Tell Me About That

Oh my gawd! The Corrs are out with a new album! And I didn't know about it! How could I ever consider myself a true fan anymore?

I was surfing through my favourite Torrent site when I chanced upon the torrent for Home, their latest album. I was a little skeptical when I saw it as The Corrs usually release an album ever 2 to 3 years, not 1 year. But I was more or less proven wrong when I saw the track listing.... it IS real!

I can't believe they actually came out with a new album so fast! I have been a huge fan since 2001. In fact, during my fanatical years 2001/2002. I used to listen exclusively to The Corrs on my PC. It doesn't matter if the song was from their first, second, or third album, I could sing them all!

Naturally, it got old as they did not come out with a new album until last year's "Borrowed Heaven". It sounded marginally better than their 3rd effort "In Blue". But in my opinion, their second album "Talk On Corners" is the best.

And now with their fourth album "Home", The Corrs have come full circle. Being an Irish band, they decided to honour their roots and reinvented traditional Irish tunes. Therefore, it is a stark departure from all their previous albums. No more rock or candy pop tunes - it's all old school.

I'm going through my first listen and I'm loving it. Sure, it may not appeal to many Corrs fans but I have an affinity for everything Ireland. In fact, my English name is Irish in nature! Of course, I didn't know that when I picked it. So I think I may have been an Irish in one of my past lives.

Their current album sounds a lot like Mary Black's songs, another famed Irish singer many years ago. With her beautiful voice, Andrea Corr really puts the soul into all the songs. There are two songs sung in Gaelic, which is like, damn traditional man. There are two instrumental pieces, "Old Hag" and "Haste to the Wedding".

I think it's better than the last album, but I don't believe it will be as successful due to its un-poppy sound. But it's kinda hard to compare as they belong to completely different genres.

(Sigh) The Corrs fever is back.

No comments: