17 September 2005

Overdrive

(You should read the previous two posts before this as they go in sequence but deal with different topics)

So, I went for the Microsoft briefing, bought the printer, and drove back to college. The end, right? No!

Coincidentally, Buddhist Society is having their Gathering Night. I told them earlier that I will not be going as I needed to go for the briefing, but it seems I will get to go after all. You see, if I had stayed till the end of the briefing (around 6-ish) I would have eaten dinner at Sunway before heading back home. That means it would have been around 8pm already. But since I left the place earlier, I got back just in time for it. I could have skipped it, but it wouldn't be nice as one of the organizers saw me driving past the place.

So I dropped all my stuff in my room, took a sip of water, and a bowl of papaya before heading straight to the gathering night. The moment I went there I could feel my whole body heating up. Even my friend mentioned that my cheeks are red, as if I put on make-up. This is a sign that I'm running on overdrive. I immediately went to the canteen and got myself a can of orange juice and a slice of watermelon. I just rested there for about 5 minutes before heading back up.

The gathering night itself was a commendable first effort since most of the committee are new. They had some hiccups and an overly boring emcee, but I'm sure they will improve with time. The vegetarian nasi lemak was the best I ever had. When the event finished at 9.30pm, I immediately went home. Usually I would stay back and help them clear the place, but I am just not feeling well.

I went back, took a much needed shower, and then went about setting up the printer (finally!). As with all laser printers, it is one heck of a bulky monster, but luckily it turned out well and it prints wonderful text. I went to sleep around 12am, happy that I got a fair deal.

If I thought that was the end of my overdrive session, I was so wrong. The next day (Friday) was a hectic day as well. I had two classes, and in between them I had a meeting for my project. All in all, I went out at 10 am and came back only at 4pm. Before I napped, I decided to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2, which was one of the free DVDs I got from the day before. Unfortunately, I did not heed the notice that said I should have at least 512 MB of RAM for installation. I paid the price by waiting 2 hours to install it on my old 256 MB laptop.

During that time, I didn't know how long it will take and I could not use my laptop efficiently, so I took out my cooking utensils and made some lychee konyaku jelly. It was my cooking project of the semester. I planned to cook at least one item every semester. Since this is a short semester I went ahead with a simpler dish, which happened to be jelly. I had planned to cook this on Sunday, but since I was left with nothing to do I got it over and done with.

The last time I did jelly was when I was very young, probably 8 or more years ago. But it seems my skills with it has not diminished. Of course, that last statement is only true if you consider following simple instructions as a "skill". At any rate, I got it done, and came back. The Visual Studio installation finished just about then but I still did not have the luxury of sleep. The next few hours were filled with doing all sorts of things such as downloading and chatting. At 11pm I went out and took my friend to supper. I finally crashed into my bed at 1am.

And, finally, today (Saturday) is my first real off-day. I finally had time to compile the events of the past two days into three posts. I will take things easy today before shifting into hyperdrive to complete my assignments and project next week. Next week is our assignment and test week, which actually translates to "no lecture week". Yipee.

No comments: