20 September 2005

To Convey Surveys

Whew! Am I wasted! Not from alcohol, but from giving out questionnaires.

This morning me and 3 other team members went around the college handing out surveys to lecturers and other staff. I only planned to give out 50 copies and get 30 in return, which I feel is a small sample. But even with such low standards, we found it hard to achieve our goal.

Instead of placing the questionnaire in people's pigeon holes and hope for the best, I urged my team members to approach respondants personally and try to get a response on the spot. And that's where complications set in. A lot of them do not have the time or have any children within our age range. Even if they do, most of their kids are in their teens, so it would be difficult to answer our survey.

My initial plan was just to approach lecturers, but when it seemed that wouldn't be enough, we spread out again to other administration offices like the Exam Centre, General Office, etc. Through our intense efforts and walking around the big campus we managed to get more than 30.

Now for the hard part - analyzing.

No comments: